But I don't want to!

A few weeks ago I made a pair of Clover shorts for Little Monkey. Then it happened... the growth spurt! Righto, no worries. While she was sleeping, I made another pair of Clover shorts, one size bigger. I showed them to Little Monkey, and she replied that they were still too small before even trying them on. We had a little chat and Little Monkey explained that she did not want to wear shorts because she wanted to wear dresses and skirts. I said that maybe sometimes she could wear shorts, to which she replied, "But I don't want to."

Oh dear! I made a pair of shorts that were destined to remain in Little Monkey's chest of drawers forever! I haven't sewed the buttons on yet, and I thought if I could get her to pick the buttons she might like the shorts, to which she again replied, "But I don't want to." I managed to get her interested enough in buttons and she picked three shiny buttons with love hearts on them. Phew!

Later that day when it was not as hot I suggested we could go to a park for a play. You guessed it. "But I don't want to." Eventually I convinced her to go see if there were any puddles in the botanical gardens, so she could jump in them just like Peppa pig. To my surprise she agreed. Somehow I managed to convince her that jumping in muddy puddles would be easier in shorts rather than a dress. I really wanted her to give them a go.

So, we went to the botanical gardens hoping there would be muddy puddles to jump in. Guess what...



There were a few puddles :) Little Monkey had so much fun! Other visitors probably thought I was a crazy woman cheering for my daughter jumping in puddles while taking photos of her! I really did not care. I wished I was four years old and could go jump with her too.

It is amazing how jumping in muddy puddles turns grumpy little girls into happy creatures! In fact, Little Monkey willingly stopped and posed for a few photos! I was so glad I decided to bring the camera!




This time I made a straight size 3 Clover shorts, no modifications. It really is a great pattern, well drafted with a number of options and great clear instructions. The Clover shorts are very easy to make, even despite fiddling with the belt tubs and the pockets. As soon as my daughter lifts her ban on shorts I will be making more and trying different options this pattern offers.

By dinner time we both were happy, dirty and hungry. Little Monkey suggested that we could have a picnic. What a brilliant idea! We got fish and chips, and returned to the gardens. It's been a while since we had a picnic.


While waiting for our meal to cool down Little Monkey and I watched the birds and practiced gymnastics on the bench. These sort of activities certainly build up healthy appetite!





So if you have a grumpy little creature at your place, take them to the nearest park and let them jump in muddy puddles. It works for Peppa pig, it worked for Little Monkey, so I am certain it will work for your little person too :)


I love this cheeky girl!

Pin It

26 comments

  1. Cute shorts ... She chose great with the buttons. They match perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wen. I love these buttons too! It took just about forever for LM to choose 3! but they will go nicely with anything... Provided she will decide to start wearing shorts again!

      Delete
  2. So adorable! When I was little I was just like her; I only wanted to wear dresses. But who doesn't love jumping in puddles!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the opposite. I did not start wearing dresses and skirts until only a few years ago. I don't mind it that LM only wants to wear dresses and skirts. I just wish I realised that before I made her shorts and a few tops! I might just need to make a plain denim skirt so that she could still wear her tops :)

      Delete
  3. Jumping in muddy puddles is always a winner. I love the shorts, they look really stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy :) You should have seen these shorts at the end of our adventure! They require a bit of soaking :) Which is the best proof that we have had a lot of fun, right?

      Delete
  4. Haha. Sounds like you wound up having g a lovely day together and maybe she will wear those shorts again after having such fun the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Angela :) I managed to convince her to wear the shorts twice more since the photo shoot, but I am not holding my breath... It's OK though :)

      Delete
  5. Yay! Muddy Puddles! We love Peppa Pig too... sadly our muddy puddles (and there are plenty right now) are cold and miserable, nothing like summer in Oz! Shorts look great - my Missy would love them for next summer, she's the opposite of LM, I need to beg her to wear dresses. I think it's to do with just wanting to say 'No' to whatever I want. And LM is looking so tall and long-legged. They're definitely growing up these girlies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh jumping in muddy puddles in winter does not sound pleasant at all! Brrr!! Our girls sound so similar in so many ways, just not their preference in clothing. At least not at this point in time :) Oh well :)

      Delete
  6. Cute shorts! I do hope that they see some wear! And I love the puddle jumping idea- I'll have to keep that in mind when mine are reluctant to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we could have some sort of a 'this is what our kids really do in their handmade clothes' photo challenge! Just imagine all the messy eating, running, jumping, falling, splashing - bliss!

      Delete
  7. She looks so gorgeous in these sweet little shorts, I'm glad for you that she agreed to wear them at least just once :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle :) She said yes to these shorts twice more since the photo shoot, so maybe there is hope? Doesn't matter really :) I had fun making those shorts, and she had fun jumping ;)

      Delete
  8. Cute, cute, cute!! I wonder if LM will happily wear her shorts now? Or was it a one off, only when there are puddles occasion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee :) She wore them again to childcare yesterday :) There is hope! These shorts have seen the light of a day 4 times now hahaha

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you handled this situation really well. Don't you just love children with an attitude? - in shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy :) Yes kids with an attitude are great hehe

      Delete
  10. Oooh yes, puddles do work well! I have the no shorts problem times 2 most of the time. I'm going to try the moku shorts to see if that works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have seent the Moku shorts, they look cute! Good luck!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you had a great time! I love the moments like these with my daughter as well. And everything is much easier with kids when we allow them to enjoy the things they like, right?
    I love her new shorts. And I am jalous of the Australian weather! :-) In Belgium, it´s raining, as usual, and we have 4 °C. Brrrr :-( Enjoy your summer with your little monkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zuzana. Oh it is cold where you are at the moment! But in a few months time I will be jealous looking at all the summer gorgeousness you will be making ;) Yes we did end up having a lot of fun! Gotta love it when a grumpy day ends with a fun night :)

      Delete
  12. That is so sweet. It's days like those that make life worth living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Justine. Yes I agree, these moments are like rainbows after the rain.

      Delete
  13. These shorts are super cute and so practical for running, jumping and rolling around. I do hope gets wear out of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. These cuties have seen the light of a day a few times, but not as much as her dresses and skirts, which is totally fine with me.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.