Almost twinning - still winning

When one has two adorable daughters to sew for it is only a question of time before they get matching outfits. However when one has a husband who is not overly enthusiastic about his children wearing matching clothes one might choose a softer approach to begin with and whip up almost matching outfits. Happy girlies, happy husband. Win-win.


The idea of making matching outfits was born while I was searching for fabric to make a top for my little girlie. I fell in love with Paperie - Library Gardens Art Gallery knit while I was checking out Ministry of fabric. I knew it would look stunning on both girlies. I issued a matching outfits warning to my husband and purchased fabric.


I took the girlies to a park for a play and snapped a few photos of them walking together checking out flowers. Miss R is a dream big sister. She is exceptionally kind, loving and patient. She likes to keep an eye on Miss L and makes sure her little sister is comfortable and happy. Miss L is a typical baby of the family. She is the most adorable daredevil. She is fearlessly exploring the world around her. She is also full of toddler grace :P


I made the Uptown/Downtown dress by Sew Straight and Gather for Miss R. I made her one last year and she practically lived in it! I was keen to see what an updated version would look like, and guys, I am in love!



The updated neckline sits much nicer. The instructions were also updated and Terri now offers a burrito method to sew the bodice of the sleeveless version of the dress, which I personally prefer.



This is the second Uptown/Downtown dress I made for Miss R this summer. I don't usually use the same pattern twice in one season, but this dress is so easy to make and Miss R loves it so much I felt I practically had to! I managed to convince her to take a few pics of the first dress, so it might appear on the blog later on.


Here is Miss R being a big sister warning Miss L it might be dangerous for her to climb big rocks :)


 Somehow Miss R manages to look like a lady even while climbing trees or shopping at Bunnings :)


Or selling pretend ice cream to her little sister :)


Miss L got a new Lila dress* by Compagnie M and Lily & Woody.


I have used this pattern a few times already, please visit previous blog posts here (dress and tunic), here (tunic again), here (jumpsuit) and here (jumpsuits for cooler weather). I have made a reversible woven version during testing as well. This Lila is number eight! Enough said?


For this dress I combined gorgeous floral knit with Art Gallery Strawberry Kiss. Bodices of both dresses lined with Art Gallery Crystal pink, also from Ministry of fabric.



So now I have eased my husband into the matching clothes scene I may have to make truly matching outfits for the girlies! Sorry sweetest husband, I am not even sorry!

11 comments

  1. Such pretty dresses! My girls are over matching, sadly, but it was nice while it lasted. Good idea to ease your husband into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masha. I don't think my window of opportunity for making matching outfits is very big. BUt I actually really like this semi-matching thing!

      Delete
  2. My husband doesn't like twinning outfits either. Or actually, he doesn't mind them having matching outfits as long as they don't wear it on the same day... My girls and I do like twinning, so matching outfits do find their way to their wardrobes. Usually, they like the same fabrics so I usually end up making one child a skirt out of the leftovers of the other childs'dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wearing matching outfits on different days sounds like a good solution as well :)

      Delete
  3. Both of these dresses are absolutely gorgeous on your little ladies <3 I think this is the perfect way to ease your husband into twinning ;) Mine isn't so big on twinning either, but I think I have convinced him that it's now or never. I love the way the Uptown/Downtown dress looks. I'm thinking of finally making one for my big girl now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes Emi, sew the dress! I am sure your daughter will love it. And yes, twinning is only a very short lives stage, so why not!

      Delete
  4. What sweet girls. Sisterhood is really wonderful and you have such a sweet pair there. I'm sure after seeing your daughters delight in their dresses your husband will change his tune. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I love it! Both of the dresses are awesome. I have to tell you, I prefer the not totally matchy-matchy look. It's not nearly as fun to sew the exact same dress twice. I personally enjoy switching it up a bit. So, similar but slightly different works for me! But don't tell your husband. ;) Hugs from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel :) I am really liking the matching but not really matching look. There are not many patterns I can use for both girls at this stage, but sewing different patterns in same fabrics sounds fun :) Less headache re-threading my overlocker hehe

      Delete
  6. Such sweet outfits and photos! Big and little sis x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.