Family reunion dress

My sister in law got married a few weeks ago. Of course I had to sew something special for my girlies, something fitting for such a joyous occasion!

Today I would like to show you the dress I made for Baby L :)


Choosing a pattern was easy. I had my eye on the Family Reunion Dress by Oliver + S for ages. It is such a sweet dress. I love all the small details this pattern has to offer.


I wanted to use statement fabric for Baby L's dress. This Cornflowers panel by Bambiblauw from MaaiDesign fit the description perfectly. Baby L's measurements put her in the smallest size and there was plenty of fabric to cut every piece from the panel, including hem facings.


I sewed the dress as per the instructions and only made a few tiny changes. The most obvious is the fact that I added piping. I love piping and will use any opportunity to add it to a garment. This green piping compliments the panel so well it was practically a sign from above they were supposed to be made into a garment together.


Because of the way the facings are sewn the instructions say there needs to be a cut into a seam allowance along the shoulder seam in order to ensure a neat finish. There was no way I was going to cut into a precious piece of cloth at midnight hoping for the best. I would have lost it if I ruined the dress. I read through a dozen of blog posts looking for a solution and eventually came across someone who suggested french seams. Bingo! I was back on track with pretty insides and my sanity still intact.


The fabric is so pretty stitching over the print to secure hem facings would have been a crime. I watched a couple of YouTube videos to work out how to do a blind hem. It took a little practice and while my attempt is not perfect, it is still very decent.


I took my time sewing this dress. To me, small things matter. Things that might not be too noticeable, like the fact I changed the colour of the thread three times to make five buttonholes (two different shades of blue and green). Oh, and I swear on the well-being of my beloved sewing machine that the back pieces are in fact the same length.


I was super excited about finding the perfect size and colour buttons for this dress at my local Spotlight. Small things, yeah?


To say that I am pleased with how the dress turned out would be an understatement. Oliver + S patterns have a fabulous reputation for a reason. Combine a great pattern with amazing fabric, and you get something seriously amazing. Amazing enough to be fitting for a very special occasion, like you sister in law's wedding ;)

26 comments

  1. So adorable! What a beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg! Sewing this little number was so much fin!

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful! I bet she was a show stopper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! You really did a stunning job with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liesl. I can't believe it took me ages to finally sew this pattern. It is perfect :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Marleen :) Isn't it amazing the role our choice of fabric plays in the outcome?

      Delete
  5. How beautiful! I love all the care that went into the details! ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling! This is one of my favorite patterns, too. Also, I promise the whole cut-into-the-shoulder thing actually does work! It makes for a nice finish. I generally do french seams on the side seams on this, too.

    I love the border print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't doubt the shoulder seams work just fine. It's just I don't trust myself past a certain hour at night haha

      Delete
  7. well done. It's beautiful and good on you for trying the blind hem. You're right, a hemline would have been disappointing but I would have been too lazy to find another solution! This is a favourite pattern of mine too. I think the piping is a must to bring out the neckline detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nic! Piping actually made sewing the facings so much easier! I think :)

      Delete
  8. p.s. love your new logo! Maybe you've had it awhile and I've only just noticed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It is still relatively new, couple of months maybe?

      Delete
  9. She looks too cute in this pretty dress <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia :) The blue fabric makes her eyes almost unreal blue!

      Delete
  10. My mouth dropped open when I saw the dress. It is STUNNING. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Sheila :) I had a lot of fun sewing it :) A few late nights, but totally worth it!

      Delete
  11. All of the details on this dress are amazing. I can see that this dress is so worth all of the time and effort you put into it! I love that you changed the threads so many times (and that the buttonholes behaved for you). It's gorgeous and she looks absolutely beautiful in her mama-made dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emi! I think I used four different shades of blue thread while sewing this dress :) Totally worth it!

      Delete
  12. What a superb dress. The piping, and the graded coloured buttonhole stitching, and the placement print - all just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Fiona :) There is something very satisfying after completing a more involved project :)

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful dress, Jenya!!! The green piping is perfect for that stunning fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. You would not believe it, I spent almost an entire night trying to decide if piping could work! Ha! I think it made sewing the facings on much easier also :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.