The rainbow Tinny dress

Miss R: Mummy, I love this fabric! Can we buy it?
Me: But it has a lot of triangles on it. You usually like flowers.
Miss R: But I really like it. It is like a rainbow. Can we buy it?
Me: What would you like to use it for?
Miss R: You can make me a rainbow dress.

While she was sleeping, I made a rainbow dress for Miss R using the Tinny dress pattern by StraightGrain patterns. 


Everything you have heard about Tinny is true. It really is a wonderful pattern. One can create numerous different looks by simply mixing and matching various bodice, skirt, sleeve and collar options.


The fabric Miss R chose is very bright and busy so I decided to make a simple bodice with capped sleeves. Simple is best and in this case less is definitely more.


This was my first go at sewing a circle skirt. I heard that hemming circle skirts can be painful. I followed An's suggestions and the result is beautiful. Not one wrinkle. High five me. This is now my preferred type of a skirt. Miss R was very happy with the twirl factor!


I initially wanted to add piping to the neckline and the sleeves but wasn't sure such a small detail would not get lost in the business of the main fabric. I thought that the asymmetrical collar would be the best option to compliment geometric print and break up the business of the fabric.


I wish I had thought about matching the colours of the triangles at the back before I cut the fabric. Oops :)


I made this dress back in January. Every now and then I go through phases when I just want to sew and not worry about blogging. This dress was made during one of such periods. It was just before Miss R started school and I needed to regroup and adjust to the changes my family was going through.


Miss R was anxious about starting school. She loved kinder and her kinder teachers. She didn't want to go to school. Miss R is not always coping with a change well. She needs time and opportunity to step back and observe her new surroundings from a distance, to soak things in before she is comfortable to join in.


I am pleased with how well she is adjusting and how much she is learning! Hearing her read is the best thing in the world. In Australian schools children have 'readers' that they take home every day. Readers are small books that contain little text consisting of repetitive words accompanied by pictures. While we have fun with 'readers' the best thing is reading her usual books together! She reads the words she knows and my husband or I read the rest. This means reading a story takes longer, but I believe this is the best way to practice reading for her. Believe it or not, Miss R came up with this idea.


Miss R loved her Tinny dress. It is now too cold to wear this dress and I am sure it will be too small by next spring. Well, I will just have to make her another twirly Tinny :)


14 comments

  1. It's so pretty. I love the collar - the color is a perfect complement to the dress fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) I was so glad I had solid fabric in my stash that worked well with the main fabric.

      Delete
  2. This dress is awesome!! Miss R was completely right by chosing this fabric :-) I so need to make a new Tinny dress, urgently :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can see why people keep on making Tinny dresses! I am so glad my daughter is more open to prints other than florals now!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Jenya! she has the best taste for fabrics! I think the asymmetrical neck is perfect as well as the colour you choose. I find with circular skirts sometimes is nice/easy to do the hem with bias tape too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I think I will try bias tape next time, if I use contrasting colour twirling will be even more fun! :)

      Delete
  4. Very pretty, beautiful fabric, and you can never go wrong with a circle skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good choice of fabric, Miss R!!! Your reading together sessions sound perfect, Jenya. Looks like she'll be a fluent reader in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. MIss R has always enjoyed reading. She set a goal to be the first in her class to progress to the 'blue' words haha Did you do words lists also?

      Delete
  6. your daughter has good taste in fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love triangles even more than flowers, so I'm definitely in love with this one! And how about a colorful longsleeve and tights under it? Not wearing this beauty would be a pity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love everything this dress <3! My daughter is 2, she'll fit it one day ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.