Jumpy rompers for a wiggly baby

Our sweet Baby L is such a happy little girl! She talks more than Miss R and I combined. Trust me, that is an achievement! As soon as Baby L hears music she starts dancing. She is very inquisitive and she never stops!


Little explorers need to be comfortable. When it comes to comfort, nothing beats a romper. So, While she was sleeping, I made not one, but two Jumpy Rompers by Puperita for my sweet Baby L.


This romper is made from cotton interlock I had left after making a night and morning dress for Miss R. While I love the print the fabric left me feeling very frustrated. With each penetration of a needle there was a tiny hole left in it. Not cool. This romper has been in high rotation over the past few weeks and the holes along the stitch line, especially at the bottom of the romper, are becoming more and more visible. I had the same issue with Miss R's nighties. I think this is a reflection of the quality of this fabric.


The romper can be made reversible, but I didn't worry about that while making this romper. I had a small piece of cotton interlock I used to line Baby L's first Jumpy romper, just enough to cut the lining for the new one.


Despite me feeling frustrated with the fabric I absolutely love this romper. It looks so girly and upbeat, don't you think? It is very soft and comfortable. Perfect for little tireless explorers like Baby L.


Babies might be adorable, but they are also super messy. I feel like I am constantly washing kids' clothes. Little girl pictured can go through a few changes of clothes a day. I think some of her clothes spends more time in a laundry basket than on her!


The second romper is made from jersey. How adorable is the print! It looks rather washed out paired up with a white bodysuit. Poor planning on my side. Baby L usually wears this romper with a brightly coloured bodysuit and it looks great! I promise :)


I made this romper reversible but it was not until I started taking photos that I realised that I couldn't just swap sides without re-sewing the buttons or sewing a second set of buttons onto the reverse side of the romper. Oops! You can see a glimpse of the reverse side in this Instagram photo.


When I bought this fabric I also bought black ribbing. When I put it next to the fabric it looked too boring. Boring baby clothes? Not if I can help it! I think mustard ribbing takes the fun factor of this romper up a notch.


Choosing buttons is my favourite part of making a garment. I have a significant addiction to cute, unusual and vintage buttons. I may have a few large coffee jars filled with buttons of just about every shape and colour. Between us, I most definitely do! And I loooove going through them! I think it took me nearly an entire nap time to eventually settle on these funky yellow buttons.


Both of these rompers have been in high rotation since the day I made them. They are super comfy. Baby L can wiggle and crawl in any direction and her movement is not restricted. Being lined these rompers are perfect for cooler months we are entering.


Judging by the amount of photos of this romper other seamstresses share in Puperita Teamwork group on Facebook this is a very popular pattern. I will certainly be sewing more Jumpy rompers as my baby continues to grow. 

12 comments

  1. This is one of my favorite Puperita patterns! My younger daughter loves wearing hers in place of pajamas. Yours are super cute!! It's too bad about the fabric on that first romper because it's adorable and girly without being over the top girly, if you know what a mean. ;) I love that jersey romper, too. Perfect for doing press-ups!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your little one is warm and cozy at night :) Yes, I agree with you about the fabric. That's why I loved it so much. Well the print anyway :)

      Delete
  2. oh my goodness - that fox romper is ADORABLE!!! I wish I was sewing with knits when my daughters were young, I was only working with woven at the time - these rompers are FABULOUS - and oh so comfy looking!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I am so glad I got over my fear of knits and started using this gloriously comfy fabric more often!

      Delete
  3. Two beautiful rompers, Jenya. I think you made the right choice with the ribbing on the second one. She's growing up so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. Yes I was very pleased with the colour in the end. Baby L does grow up so quick. She just recently started crawling, and it is the cutest thing ever!

      Delete
  4. The rompers are so cute - I really love the raccoons with the yellow, especially. Too bad about the fabric - what kind of needle did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masha. I use ballpoint needle for knits. Both rompers were made at the same time the production line style, but I had this issue with only one of them.

      Delete
  5. Cuteness overload!! And that yellow is perfect, you can never go wrong with a bit of colour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute baby...her sweet smile is precious! Too bad about the fabric, I love that print too. And both rompers are beautiful! BTW, in the last pic she looks like doing push-ups...so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here it is, the romper with the yellow buttons! And gosh it's cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.