Verona dress and an oops

R needed new clothes for spring and summer. I would like to be able to make her entire wardrobe, however I realise that is not realistic at present. Having a baby got me out of my sewing routine. I am now embracing sewing a few seams at a time.

In a bid to get more organised I made a mental 'To sew this summer' list. As I was not sure what to make first I showed R a few fabrics I matched with patterns and asked what fabric she wanted me to use first. She picked Japanese cotton with birds and flowers printed on it. I thought that the Verona dress pattern was the perfect match for this fabric.


R calls this her princess dress. Because I made her a princess dress R promoted me to the rank of a princess mummy. Thanks sweetheart :)


I like the shape of the dress and options the pattern offers. I made a sleeveless dress. Pattern also has pieces for long, short and two options for cap sleeves. The dress can be sewn for a special occasion or for everyday wear and play. Or walking a dog :) depending on fabric used.


I love this sweet fold over collar.


One of the features that attracted me to this pattern was the fact it did not require any closures for larger sizes. The dress can just be pulled over a child's head. The elastic cleverly inserted between two skirts keeps the dress beautifully fitted at the back. Beauty! My big girlie can dress herself while I am being a willing slave to my little one, I thought.


However when I half made the bodice and tried to put it over R's head the opening was too small. Actually Jenn suggests to check the fit of the head opening before sewing the side seams on the bodice in her instructions. If your child's head does not fit through, like R's, a notch can be made to help with this. Easy peasy. Mine is longer than the pattern suggest, but that was due to me feeling a little paranoid.


I enjoyed sewing this dress and did not have any hiccups in the process. Well, apart from sewing the skirt to the bodice up side down. Oops! You see, I am not a start-stop type of a sewist. Before baby L was born I could stay up until some ungodly hour sewing because I was in the zone. The most I got to sew in one sitting while working on this dress was six seams. Six seams! So on some stage between sewing the side seams on the skirts and sewing the skirts to the bodice I completely forgot my fabric had directional print. When the dress is finished the bodice ends up being 'sandwiched' between two skirts so there is no need to finish that seam. I thought I would overlock it. Just in case, you know. When I finished the dress, I looked at it and was not sure if I wanted to laugh or cry, so I did a bit of both. Have I not overlocked that final seam I would have fixed the skirts, but there was no way I was going to unpick an overlocked stitch!


Good thing my girlie does not care the birds on the skirt of her dress hang up side down! She just feels like a princess in her Verona dress. That's enough to help me get over my sewing OCD in this case and enjoy my new status of a princess mummy.

24 comments

  1. I wouldn't even have noticed had you not pointed it out!! And as someone once said to me (when I did something similar), at least they are right-side up for your daughter <3. Such a beautiful walking-the-dog Princess dress. Now I reaaaaaally want to sew one up for my girls! I just need to wait for warmer weather, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Yeah I also thought the birdies were just looking at my girlie :D Glad it is not too noticeable :)

      Delete
  2. Oh she's looking so grown up! Yay to dresses that they can put on themselves (even if it requires an extra notch). I think that's one reason my dresses go unworn, because Missy has to ask me to do a back zip. And sadly my sewing is 'stop start' ....wish I could have hours to just get in 'zone' but that only rarely happens x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a price for getting in the zone - feeling super tired the day after haha I am trying to embrace the stop start sewing... gah! What sort of things does Missy like now? R is still into dresses and skirts. Oh, and she now asks for tee-shirts (things made from knit fabric).

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful dress on your beautiful R. The collar is adorable! Well done on continuing to sew through this time, it'll get easier again xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shell. Sewing certainly breaks up the constant cleaning/washing/feeding cycle :) Although feeding is fine... it is washing/cleaning business I would rather avoid haha

      Delete
  4. The dress has a lovely shape. Your daughter looks very classic in it! I know exactly what you mean about sewing a few seams at a time ... it is a totally different way of sewing for me, but I like how it forces me to slow down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I guess slow sewing is better than no sewing :)

      Delete
  5. I didn't notice the upside downness either. And from your daughters perspective, looking down, they look perfect to her! I can so relate to not liking to start and stop a project. Once I start, I have a really hard time walking away until its done. It'll get better soon I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. It is funny you should comment about my daughter's perspective :) Just the other day she was showing me her favourite bird on the dress, and she said how she likes it that the birdie is looking at her :)

      Delete
  6. I also didn't notice the upside down fabric, Jenya. Love the fabric - love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam :) A lot of things change, but my daughter still loves birds :) She has always loved them.

      Delete
  7. I love it! So soft and pretty. I wouldn't have noticed the birds with the allover print.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute dress! But did you notice that her head in the photo is tilted just like yours on the right - and that you are twins? So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twinness was the first thing I noticed when I pre-viewed the post! She looked just like her daddy when she was a baby :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely! They're obviously northern hemisphere birds, everyone gets about on their heads up there. :)
    It's a really nice shape dress for such an easy wear.
    Uninterrupted sewing time will return and then you'll find yourself needing to stop cause it's easy yo sew a skirt on upside down when you're sewing after midnight. Or is that just me?...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Northern hemisphere birds - hahaha
      R really likes this dress. It combines a lot of details she likes, like the collar, the colour, the print, the shape... I am just happy that she likes it :)
      Late night sewing has lead to some interesting results here also :D A lot of quality time with a seam ripper :D

      Delete
  10. Lovely dress! She sure looks like a sweet princess in it. I did not see the upside down pattern, and it is still hard to see even after reading about it. BTW, my little princess calls me the queen ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh your daughter is so sweet! I was really upset about sewing the skirt up side down at first. Now I don't even notice!

      Delete
  11. Beautfiful dress! Can't tell that the skirt upside down! Not at all! On the side note, the overlock stitches are really easy and fast to unpick, you just need to know what and where to pull. It's liek magic :) Mie has a tutorial on her blog how to do it, just in case you want to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Darling dress. I know I've occasionally sewn a few things upside down. So frustrating but from the photos I can't tell.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.