Bumblebee dress for my niece

A few weeks ago we had very special visitors. My lovely sister in law, her partner and their most adorable little girl came for a visit. I got to cuddle my sweetest niece for the first time in about 6 months. She is such a delight! She is a happy and curious little girl, and her smile would melt anyone's heart. Needless to say everyone adores her.

Making things for little people is one of the ways I express how special they are to me. So I made the Bumblebee dress for my sweet niece.


I made the Bumblebee dress for my daughter when the pattern was just released and have been meaning to make another one for ages! Isn't it funny how sometimes we need an excuse to finally make something?

I made a size 1 dress hoping it would fit my niece by the time summer returns to Australia. By that time she will either be walking or not far from walking. In my experience dresses and crawling little girls just don't mix too well!


My niece's Bumblebee dress is made from lightweight denim. I had a small piece of bright geometric Lisette fabric that I have been hoarding - I mean saving - for the right project. Don't you think it looks stunning paired up with denim? The bodice of the dress is lined with lightweight cotton lawn.


Small things make me happy. Like finding two buttons that match the gold/brown on the front of the dress among gazillion buttons in my stash! It might be a small detail, but it my eyes it completed the look of the dress.

This dress was so much fun to make! I hope my sweet little niece will enjoy wearing it.

11 comments

  1. Very, very pretty. The print and the denim just are so perfect together. What a lovely present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annika. I can't believe I am not sewing for my niece more often... I wish they lived closer :(

      Delete
  2. Waw, such a beautiful dress! Really love your combination of the printed fabric and the denim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous jenya! It will be durable for a little girl too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suz. Yes, kids clothes can't be fragile! Denim is such a wonderful option for kids clothes. Or anyone's clothes for that matter ;) I bought a few metres of this denim so there is still enough left for a skirt for me after I made dresses for my niece and R :)

      Delete
  4. Perfect match between denim and contrast fabric, this dress is so lovely and cute. I can see how special your little niece to you through this gift, Jenya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet gift, Jenya! The dress is beautiful and I am sure it will be loved by the baby girl and her parents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet. Little girls are the perfect excuse to sew! I love the Bumblebee, it is by far the pattern I used the most until now. Yours looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute!!! I love the fabric pairing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.