Selfish Sewing Week and other adventures

Selfish Sewing Week finished a few days ago. I have a feeling I am the last person in the world to finally blog about what I have made!

At the end of last year I decided to focus on two goals: to sew more for myself and practice sewing knits. I think I am right on track with my first goal having spent summer months sewing almost exclusively for myself.

My SSW project was an attempt to get more familiar with sewing knits. I knew I wanted to make the Seafarer top by Sew Much Ado. This pattern is perfect for beginner sewists and for those like myself feeling somewhat intimidated by sewing knits. So While she was sleeping...


I was pleasantly surprised how easy this top was to make! I opted for banded neckline and armbands. I have only attempted a banded neckline on a t-shirt once before, and it was a disaster. So having had that experience I decided it was something I wanted to tackle. When I sewed the neckband on and gave it a press I was so proud of myself! I know it sounds silly, but for me it was huge! I did not topstitch my neckband. I like it as is. If I change my mind later I know where to find my double needle ;)


To accommodate the growing bump I referred to Abby's knocked up Seafarer tutorial. My bust measurement put me in size S, and I gradually widened the pattern to size M around tummy and hips.


Oh my bad. I shared the news on Facebook and Instagram, but not here.


Yep, Little Monkey is going to be a big sister! And trust me, the bump is bigger than it appears in these photos!

So back to the top. It is exceptionally comfortable and super easy to sew. If my fabric was not as thick the top would have draped much nicer. This fabric does not have much stretch either. I was too excited to finally find a print I liked I did not consider these factors. I want to try a couple of different views, so I will be more careful with my fabric choice next time.

After finishing this top I wanted to make another top that would be perfect for second trimester as well as when the new bub arrives... but I did not have enough fabric for it and my budget did not allow for a trip to a fabric shop. I was upset for a day or so, and then decided to make a top for my faithful young companion instead.


Does Little Monkey's new top look similar to mine? Please let me recommend the Skipper top, also designed by talented Abby. The size range for this pattern is 6 months to size 10. This pattern also offers various views and finishes. Quick, simple, easy pattern with options to customise a top - a complete winner in my eyes. Besides, I got to practice sewing knits again.


Little Monkey's top is made out of the same knit as mine, just different print. I was a little concerned the fabric would not drape nicely, but surprisingly it worked really well on a child's tee! Phew!


Little Monkey's measurements put her between sizes 3 and 4, so I cut size 4. I cannot believe how quickly she grows!


Another perfect neckband :)


This girl is excited about becoming a big sister. Here she is picking gum leaves for the baby to eat. I might have to explain to her I am not expecting a baby koala!

The funny thing is that Little Monkey keeps on telling me she has a sister in her tummy and likes to compare the sizes of our tummies. This girl is seriously hilarious!


She is also a lot of fun to be around.





 Alright, we'll be off! See you next time!


Pin It

38 comments

  1. Congratulations! Obviously for your perfect neckband, but also for your newest family member. Both are worth crowing about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jenya, such great news! A baby, a tiny little ball of cuteness! Oh , yes, right, two great tops too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mieke :) Hope this little ball of cuteness will be sleeping as well as his/her big sister so that mama could get some therapy... I mean sewing done ;)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!!! What an exciting and happy news! And I an see your daughter is excited about being a big sister too!
    Both of you look great in the new tops, and I really love yours...perfect pattern and print combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Annie :) Yes LM is super excited. It took a while to get here, but hey, I am now enjoying sharing this experience with my big girl :)

      Delete
  4. I love them both! You two look gorgeous. Well, I should say you three? :D Those knits are amazing!!
    And now you convinced me to buy those two patterns for me and my girls. We sure need more tees for the coming hot weather so I may have to copy you on this... :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy these patterns Sara. I have my eye on the peplum top now!

      Delete
  5. Oh Jenya, these photos are precious! I love how both your tops turned out! I've tried using not-so-stretchy knits before too with the same results - wearable but not nearly as comfortable or drapey as stretchier knits. You look adorable with your tiny bump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Abby. Good knits are very hard to find in my town. My top feels much nicer now I worn it a few times. A proper fabric shop in town just got some nice printed knits in stock, so I will make sure to visit them soon. Sewing these tops was a great experience and a great confidence booster!

      Delete
  6. That is such a cute top and the photos of you and your little girl
    are heart warming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Justine :) The photo-shoot took forever, but we ended up with so many beautiful photos in the end! I don't have many photos with her, so it sure was special :)

      Delete
  7. The fabric is really lovely and the t-shirt design is beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They are also oh so comfy and easy to make :) Once it is warm again this tee will become my staple!

      Delete
  8. Cute!! Loved this photoshoot...and I need to go check out Abby's patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah for the bump! Love the tops, I have had my eye on those two patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) I would highly recommend these patterns :)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! Children as a lot of work but such a delight. You look great in your new top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy :) I am looking forward to this new adventure. Actually, I am not sure who is more excited, my husband, me or our daughter!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful, beautiful photos, Jenya and two great t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I finally have a lot of great photos with LM :) and a couple of comfy cute tees as a bonus ;)

      Delete
  12. Congratulations!!! I hope you're feeling well, Im intending on emailing you this week to organise a picnic in the hols if you're feeling up to it! Gorgeous tops & you'll have to start doing itty bitty bubba versions too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shell. I am feeling rather blah, but the reward will be worth it :) Would love to catch up with you in person! I will e-mail you my phone number.

      Delete
  13. Big Congrats! I would never guess you new to knits they turned out wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ladies :) I have been avoiding knits for a long time, then its been difficult to find something nice... But I am hooked now!

      Delete
  14. Nawwhhhhh both tops and girls are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love both your tees. And as always your pics are just so joyful. One day I want to meet you and LM. I'm sure it would be sooo fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, congratualtions! So excited for you and for LM to be a big sister! And you get to sew for a baby. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth :) I hope I will have enough energy to sew a lot of baby things. I did not start sewing till LM was almost walking, so I am very excited by the opportunity to sew tiny things :)

      Delete
  17. I love both of the tops! The prints you chose are just perfect. And congratulations on the new little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teri :) I need to pop back into the shop to see if there are any nice prints left.

      Delete
  18. So exciting! And you look absolutely stunning in your tee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel :) It is a little chilly today, but in a few days time it will be warm enough to wear T-Shirts again, so I will have to take mine out for at least one more outing before it gets really cold. Oh I so dislike winter!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.