I {heart} Aster

One's spring wardrobe is not complete without a comfy and cool cardigan. While she was sleeping, I made one for Little Monkey.


Do you recognise this pattern? Yes this is the Aster cardigan designed by Vanessa from lbg studio for Willow and Co.


Everything you have heard about this pattern is true. If you have not come across the Aster cardigan before - it is a fabulously designed pattern with great clear instructions suitable for a confident beginner. The result is a gorgeous cropped cardigan with 3/4 sleeves, cutest collar (regular as shown or with faux piping) and romantic button closure. It is perfect for spring. Little Monkey's cardigan is size 3 around her chest and size 5 length. She mainly grows upwards, so I am hoping she will get a lot of wear out of her new cardi.


While my daughter needed a new cardigan, I needed a positive experience sewing with knits. You see, last time I tried to sew knit fabric my machine chewed on it. OK, I prefer to blame the machine because I don't want to admit the operator (me that is) may have done something wrong.


Little Monkey's Aster is made out of Ponte Drill fabric I bought from House of Cloth. This fabric slightly damaged by bank balance but it was great to sew. It is stretchy enough and has great recovery. It is relatively thick, so once I got to attaching the collar I had to rethink what I was going to do with the binding. I didn't have any matching lighter weight knit fabric so I used a scrap of grey fabric I had left after making this little dress a long time ago. Hoarding scraps of fabric totally paid off this time!


I wanted a cardi that my daughter could wear with just about anything, so when it came to choosing buttons I was not sure what to do. I had a few navy buttons, but they looked too boring on a navy cardi. Going for a different colour did not feel right. Then my eye caught these three buttons I scored from an op shop - the blue on the buttons matched the colour of the cardi perfectly, while the golden edge made them stand out and added a little fun factor I was after.


When I showed the cardi to Little Monkey she loved it! Of course she noticed the buttons ;) However after she tried it on she told me it was not comfortable. My heart sank. I could not imagine how something that looked just right on her and was made out of soft stretchy fabric could feel wrong. She explained that she needed the buttons to go all the way down... Phew! I am glad we have established her definition of 'uncomfortable'!


I am so pleased Little Monkey liked her new cardi! As for my confidence level... After finishing this cardigan I have made two more things out of knit fabric ;)

20 comments

  1. Very nice Jenya. I do love the Aster cardigan pattern, although I made one with a light to medium fabric, I think your choice of fabric is much better. Should try the next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria. Yes I wanted thicker fabric. The collar binding needed thinner fabric though. Gotta find your version!

      Delete
  2. The buttons are the perfect way to finish off this sweet little cardigan, Jenya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I could not believe my luck when I finally saw those buttons! And I have only had 3 :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. I want to make at least a couple more!

      Delete
  4. It come out perfect Jenya! This is such a great pattern right?!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute!! I vote Aster as one of my all time favourite patterns ever. Ponte would add warmth too - great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee :) Yep I am totally in love with this patter now too. After my initial freak out about the collar I now think Ponte is a great choice for this pattern. I do want to try lighter weight fabric, too :) And faux piping :)

      Delete
  6. Super cute cardi! And your button choice is great, as it also makes it easy to wear with other colors. Isn't this a great pattern? It's just a great basic to have on hand and lends itself to so many customization options. Eager to see the others you sew up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucinda. Oh I am in the camp of Aster lovers for sure! I have already seen a few customised Aster cardis, and they are all wonderful!

      Delete
  7. Very cute cardi, the fit seems perfect!
    The little kids do say something funny don't they...recently I had to correct my daughter what "jealous" means...she was using the word to describe "mad" ;o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie. Jealous... mad... almost the same thing ;) Kids do say the funniest things!

      Delete
  8. So cute! I want one in my size :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.