You & Me - While she was sleeping

They say more babies are born on rainy days. I don't know if it is just a myth, but it actually was raining on a cold August day when Little Monkey entered the world. I loved her while she was still in my womb, but when I got to meet her face to face my love for her extended beyond measure. She was (and is) perfect. Her little fingers, so tiny nose, her cute toes...


Once she was born, Little Monkey was placed on my chest, and we began forming a beautiful relationship. When she needed a change of a nappy, my husband and I did it showing her that we cared. When she was hungry, she had free access to the most delicious milk. When she was sleepy, we were happy to cuddle and kiss her to show her she was safe and loved. When she was awake, we played with her, talked with her, explored with her, showing her that she was important. Once she could hold her head we started reading to her. Reading is still one of our favourite things to do!


Last week Pam talked about her journey with her children and grand children. I love hearing how all the hard work we as parents (and those surrounding and supporting us) put into building positive relationships with our children that foster their development and shape them as individuals, pays off. It really puts things in perspective for me, especially on days when I am tired and want to be alone, but all Little Monkey wants to do is play cars with me!


Little Monkey is one of those children who appreciate quality time. Lots of it! Her little face lights up when she gets to build a railway with her daddy, or when Little Monkey and I got out for an ice cream and just chat. She loves to put our chairs right next to each other at dinner table, and my heart melts when she looks at me and says, "Mummy, you are my best friend". Of course I stop being her best friend for a short period of time when I insist she has to brush her teeth or do something she doesn't feel like doing! Then she says, "You are not my best friend any more. Daddy is my best friend". Oh she is hilarious!


If you haven't' realised it yet, I can talk about Little Monkey forever. She is a gorgeous person and my faithful companion.

For this series I wanted to tell you about one thing Little Monkey and I love doing together. We both love playing outside. We play together. And we have a lot of fun!

It is getting colder in my corner of the world, so I decided to make something to keep us warm while we have fun bike riding, going down the slides, running around and throwing sticks.


I am only taking baby steps at sewing for myself. To date I have only made two wearable things - the Sorbetto top (see here) and the Staple dress (see here). This time I wanted to make a jacket. I even bought a pattern, but felt a little intimidated by it. My friend Renee asked if I have seen the Woodland Stroll Cape pattern by Oliver + S. I searched the image and fell in love with it.

While she was sleeping I made myself a cape, and I love it!


My cape is 100% wool blend with polyester lining.


Red is my favourite colour. I was so happy when I saw this fabric at my local fabric shop! There were not too many options, really. Only red and beige in wool, the rest was nylon, polyester and the like. I prefer using natural fibers, so the choice was obvious!


The cape you see is my second go at making it. I used my bust measurement to determine the size of the first one. It is obvious I am not gifted in that particular area, and although I had my doubts about the size I went ahead and made a cape... that ended up too small! I also used voile for lining and discovered the cape did not 'move' with me, which was a little annoying. I was not too concerned though. I called this failure a learning experience and made another cape, using my waist and hips measurements to determine the size and 'slippery' polyester for lining.


The cape is still far from perfect, but it is absolutely wearable! In fact, it is very comfortable to wear, and I love it how the 'slippery' lining allows the cape to move with me, which is oh so important at a playground! This was my first experience sewing 'slippery' fabric. It was not as scary as I expected! I am just wondering if there are alternatives for polyester?


I think denim is a perfect choice of fabric for a jacket for an active young human being. It is hard wearing and it goes with just about anything.



I used the Little Red Riding Hood Jacket pattern by Puperita. This was the second time I used this pattern. You can see the first jacket here.

While I chose the pattern and the outer fabric, Little Monkey chose fabric for lining. She fell in love with quilting cotton with brightly coloured trees printed on it - how appropriate for Autumn!


When I showed the finished jacket to Little Monkey the first things she noticed were the pockets and the cool buttons - of course! When I showed her the lining, she got excited and started saying, "Look mummy! Look at the trees hiding!" Then she ran to daddy to show him the cool hiding trees. I swear there is no greater reward than knowing your child loves something you have made for them!

I love the shape of the hood of this jacket. Oh, and a bit of dirt on a sleeve from playing tickling monsters in the leaves adds charm to a garment, don't you think?



Little Monkey had so much fun posing... and the running away as soon as my husband pointed the camera at her!



She slowed down to throw a few sticks in the pond.



Of course there are many more things Little Monkey and us do together, but I might save them for another post ;)

I am looking forward to a post from Christina from 2 Little Hooligans tomorrow!

Would you like to join us as we talk about our kids and sewing? Please feel free to upload your photos to our Flickr group!

Pin It

44 comments

  1. Wow - beautiful beautiful words, Jenya <3. And your capes are just perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is post is wonderful! And I simply love your cape. the red suits you perfectly and the pics of you and little monkey are simply beautiful. They really show the love between you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annika. I though red looked ridiculous on my for many years! Silly me! And those pics - we had so much fun fooling around during the photo-shoot! We had leaves everywhere when we returned home :)

      Delete
  3. Jenya - this is wonderful! I love that you show us a peek of your relationship with your daughter...it just emanates in this post that you two love each other! And your jackets are great! I love the red one on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa :) I never knew how deep love could be until this little girl came along!

      Delete
  4. Jenya, what a beautiful, beautiful post and absolutely brilliant photos!!! Your husband has captured the two of you perfectly. You look fabulous in your red cape and so relaxed in front of the camera. Little Monkey's jacket looks great, too. I used the same tree fabric on a skirt some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. it was nice to leave Thommo to worry about photos. We just played, and it was great!

      Delete
  5. I love this post and what a great idea for a series. I hope I get to sew along

    ReplyDelete
  6. You two are so cute together and I love both the jacket and cape.
    You can get viscose/rayon lining which I definitely prefer to polyester lining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cape is fantastic!! Amazing effort for self sewing project number 3. A lovely heartfelt post. How about rayon as a slippery polyester alternative? I lined my Saltspring dress with rayon, it's very comfortable to wear and not at all difficult to sew with. Wiki tells me it's semi-synthetic because it's made from modified cellulose fibres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Semi-synthetic sounds interesting! Better google it. Thank you for your kind words Renee :)

      Delete
  8. I love both! She is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent post Jenya, you did a really nice job on your cape. You've got one up on me, I haven't had to sew with slippery fabric yet. I would say maybe in the fall when I sew a jacket for myself and have to insert a lining, but, nope, that'll be a denim jacket. Little Monkey looks like she loves the jacket mum made for her and it turned out perfect, specially with the hiding trees ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job in both pieces, Jenya! I'm just starting to sew more for myself too and hope to make most of my summer wardrobe! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you will have a lot of fun creating special pieces for your summer wardrobe!

      Delete
  11. Awww! What a beautifully written post! Love what you made! You daughter looks super cute in her jacket, and you look stunning in red! great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Olga. I am planning on making a red winter coat for LM soon :) I am just going to cut up the first cape I made for myself. We will be very colour coordinated then haha

      Delete
  12. Lovely post, Jenya. You and LM are clearly the very best of friends. Both jacket and cape look fantastic - I hope you're planning more sewing for yourself, because I'd love to see what else you make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marisa. There will be more sewing for me! I am enjoying it!

      Delete
  13. What a special tribute to your relationship with Little Monkey!!! I loved reading more about her personality and what you like to do together {as well as see the wonderful jackets made for the two of you}...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) It felt nice sharing a little more than just sewing projects :)

      Delete
  14. Sweet post! You two are so cute together. Both jackets are beautifully made and look great on you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Annie. It was so nice just to play with LM and leave the photography side of things to my husband! I actually don't have many photos of us two.

      Delete
  15. Agree with all the other comments - both the cape & the jacket are great! Smiled a lot at your sprinting little model...sounds too familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she is not a willing model, maybe she will grow up a great sprinter? hehe

      Delete
  16. What a lovely post jenya! I love the cape and the jacket. The colour of your cape is just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suz :) I think this fabric was meant to be used with this pattern.

      Delete
  17. You two look incredibly cute together in your jackets! It's the perfect amount of matching without our look too match matchy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. This matching yet mismatching look was exactly what I was going for :)

      Delete
  18. this is such a great series. and you look amazing! both jackets are great and your daughter such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Jenya!
    You don't know how much I love to see your blog growing! We started nearly in the same period of time writing on the web and I feel like... we're growing together... also if we are at the eatrh antipodes!
    Your red cape is terrific and so is your daughter's jacket! Amazing job for an awesome couple :)
    Hugs from Italy
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such warm words Irene :) Yes, I too feel like we are watching our blogs grow together - like young mums watch their babies grow haha

      Delete
  20. This post is gorgeous! Love just everything about it! I'm a little bit afraid that I interpreted the series in my own way. Hope that's ok!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marte :) Your post is wonderful! Will e-mail you a little later :)

      Delete
  21. You guys look soooo lovely! You are rocking that jacket Jenya! I loved reading about your feelings towards LM although,of course, it shines through in every post that you write. It's so nice to be reading about different moms and creations for their kids, such a great idea for a series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alisa :) I cannot imagine what my life could have been like without my little intruder :) I am glad you are enjoying the series :)

      Delete
  22. Your cape is lovely. The Woodland Stroll cape was the first thing I ever made for myself (I'm wearing it right now) and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
    beautiful pictures and your daughter's jacket is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Your demin jacket with ruffles is on my to make list! Love it!

      Yes I do love wearing the cape.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.