To market! To market!

I have not made anything for my Little Monkey for a whole month... A whole month! Not one little hair clip, not a small appliqué, not a quick skirt - nothing. NOTHING! However this does not mean I have not been sewing. In fact, I have sewed more in the last months than ever before since I was preparing for the new market season.

When I started sewing for my daughter I got so hooked on it I could not stop. I made more clothes for Little Monkey than she could possibly wear. I thought I would try selling my little creations at local markets. With that decision came the worry that things I make might not be good enough and that people would not buy them. I felt I was putting myself 'out there' for public to judge and decide if what I make is worth their hard-earned dollars. My worries were reduced to nothing after the very first market where I received a lot of positive feedback and encouragement, and even managed to come home with a little profit.

Yesterday was my first market this season. I was glad to be a part of Castlemaine Artists Market again. It is a lovely outdoor market that has something for everyone. It is on every first Sunday of the month (except January). The market is located behind Theatre Royal in the heart of town. If you are ever around, please come visit. You will be amazed by quality and variety local artists and crafters have to offer.


As I said, I have been busy sewing in preparation for the market. Here are a few little dresses I made for this season.

This is one of my all time favourite patterns. OK all 'two years sewing' favourite pattern - Petite Fille Style pattern designed by Puperita. My love affair with Puperita's patterns began with this dress. It has a classic feel. Pin tucks on the skirt and the cross over bodice make this dress look playful and fun. I absolutely love this dress and cannot wait to make one for Little Monkey.



Debbie's Birthday Dress was designed by Suz of Sewpony. I love this pattern too. These dresses are very comfy. The pattern offers a few variations and is suitable for a beginner as well as a more advanced sewahilic. My daughter already has two dresses made from this pattern that you can see here and here. I thought it would be nice to make a few Debbie dresses for someone else's little monkeys.


I did not adjust the dresses on the coat hangers before taking photos so the hemlines appear uneven. Please rest assured they are perfectly even.

The next few dresses almost make me want to have another Little Monkey! I used Ava dress pattern designed by Lily Bird Studio. It is a classic A-line reversible dress and comes in sizes newborn to 24 months. I used the front lining pattern pieces for both outer fabric and lining and sewed lace and ribbons to embellish the dresses.



When I made the newborn sized dress I showed it to Little Monkey and asked her if she liked it. She said she did, and also added, "It is pretty. It is very small". Oh sweetie, once upon a time you were little too.

Do you sell things you make at markets? What do you have to offer?


Pin It

14 comments

  1. I attend markets a few times a year and when I started out was just like you! Nervous that people wouldn't like my creations. Shouldn't have been worried - they love them! I make childrens clothes and toys. Hope you can visit me at www.lilpipdesigns.blogspot.com (I'm currently running a series on markets and would love your input!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, thanks for visiting :) I think when we make something and enjoy it people can see it and of course like it :) I thought your post was very helpful. I love the idea of using a spreadsheet, and those tags with buttons on them - oh ah!

      Delete
  2. Lovely Jenya:) I hope you made some sales!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suz :) I think Debbie dress is now my go to pattern for a simple cute dress :) and yes, it was nice to part with a few dresses knowing they are going to be enjoyed by someone else's little monkeys :)

      Delete
  3. They are all so lovely! The Debbie Birthday dresses are my absolute favourite, I'm thinking of adding them to my lineup soon too! My main thing is sun hats, for kids & adults, plus some kids clothes to complement the hats and some ladies tote bags! I feel a bit all over the place when I tell others what I make, but it's all tied together as things inspired by our "simple" outdoorsy life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, sounds like you have something for everyone :) I made a few coffee cup cosies for people who might like soemthing little for themselves :)

      Debbie dresses are wonderful. They are easy to make and they look great. You can dress then up or down, so to speak. In fact, all three patterns I used are simple yet elegant and comfy. I really enjoyed making them :) I mean REALLY :)

      Delete
  4. Yey, love to hear about these mysterious (to me) markets. I love the dresses, hope you made a little profit this market as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe are there no craft markets in Taiwan? Profit понятие растяжимое hehehe When you remember how much you spent on fabric and trims... I think I need a couple more successful markets before I can say I am making profit :)

      Delete
  5. I hope it went well. The dresses are all gorgeous - you choose lovely colour combinations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth :) I was hoping to make a few shirts for boys but ran out of time. Maybe one day :)

      Delete
  6. They all look fabulous, Jenya! Hope you made a profit this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. It sure is a lovely feeling when people buy things I have made because they loved them :) Last week was my best market, but I need a few more good markets before I can say I am making profit. Fingers crossed :) I now know what type of markets work for me, so am sticking with them. Last year was a bit of trial and error.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful set up you have for your market! I'm sure that you did great! I once did a market here and had a great time. I shared a booth with my friend which helped me tremendously so I didn't have to build up such a large inventory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa :) I shared a stall with friends a few times, and yes it was fun :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.