The Bluebell skirt and tutorial

A couple of months ago I wanted to make a denim dress with a scalloped hemline for Little Monkey. I did not have enough denim at home. My local Spotlight store had none in stock and staff told me they were not expecting any more any time soon... True story! So the craving to make a scalloped dress was left unsatisfied.

A few weeks ago I decided to participate in the Skirt Week hosted by Crafterhours. I read about it last year but did not get involved. I really wanted to give it a go this time. I started thinking what skirt to enter. I thought my version of the Peggy skirt looked pretty cute. However I wanted to make something original... I am not sure if my unsatisfied cravings for a scalloped dress kicked in when I started thinking of a new skirt design. I had a very vivid image of a reversible scalloped skirt, so I had to make one for my Little Monkey. Long story short...

While she was sleeping, I made the Bluebell Skirt for my Little Monkey.


I made the skirt long as we have a few cold months ahead.  I think Little Monkey will get a lot of wear out of it. This is her favourite skirt now.


 I thought the skirt required a matching necklace :) You can find a tutorial here.




 I am not sure what is going on here...



The cool thing about the Bluebell skirt - it is reversible! Ta-da!





 
Would you like to make a Bluebell skirt? It is actually not difficult! Please click Read more to see tutorial!

You will need:
  • two pieces of fabric - one for the outer layer, one for the lining
  • measuring tape 
  • paper (baking paper, printing paper, old bills, etc.) 
  • cup/glass 
  • pencil 
  • scissors (both fabric and paper) 
  • elastic 
  • thread 
  • sewing machine
First thing first - you will need a pattern.

Measure your little one's waist. Let's call it 'Width', or W.

Determine how long you want your skirt to be - above knee? Knee length? Below knee? Now measure your little person from her waist line to the point where you want the skirt to finish. Let's give this measurement a creative name "Length", or L.

If you want a fuller skirt, W x 2. My skirt is about W x 1 1/2. I generally find that skirts look nice when I multiply the waist measurement by 1 1/2 - 2. Don't add seam allowances just yet.

For the length of the skirt, take your little one's measurement L. Don't add seam allowances just yet.

Draw a rectangle on paper using measurements W and L

 
Take a cup. Place it on the hem line and mark where the cup 'meets' the hem line like in the photos below,



Now, using your marked cup, outline half-circles:


 If the cup you originally picked feels too big or too small... well, grab another one :)

Play with your pattern until you are happy with how half-circles fit. Once you are happy, it is time to add seam allowances. On my pattern you can see only one seam allowance - on the right hand side. That is because my skirt only has one side seam as the fabric was wide enough.



Now transfer your pattern onto fabric. You only need to mark half-circles on either the outer fabric or the lining. Don't cut around the half-circles, but leave a little room underneath them like in the photo below.


Pin the sides of the skirt together and sew the side seam/seams.


Trim excess fabric and press the seam/seams open.


Repeat the above steps for the lining (minus marking the half-circles of course).

Next, insert lining inside the skirt, right sides (brightly coloured sides) facing.


Pin two layers together.


Sew along the line.



Carefully cut as close to the corner as possible.


Trim around the half-circles to turn them out.


Turn the skirt right sides out and press. I don't think I trimmed my corners enough - the fabric gathers a little. I will be more careful next time I make this skirt.


Top-stitch. I reckon top-stitching makes the skirt more interesting. My husband agrees.


Now it is time to make a casing for the elastic. Fold the seam allowance on outer fabric of the skirt inside and press all around the opening.


You will have something like this.


Now, fold your lining fabric inside so it lines up with the outer fabric. Press.


Ready to sew :)


Sew along the top of the skirt about 3-5 mm from the edge of the skirt, leaving a small opening for the elastic.



Determine how much room you need to comfortably fit the elastic. Markings on my plate only go to 2 cm, and I obviously need more than that. I don't want to be guessing, I hate uneven seams. I need a reliable mark. What can I do when there is none? Let me show you the Jenya method.


No marking? No worries. Cut a piece of a post-it-note and sticky-tape it where you need a mark to be. Now the seam should be straight.


Ta-da!


Thread the elastic through the casing and secure it.


Top-stitch the opening.



Done! Enjoy :)






Please let me know if you make the Bluebell skirt using this tutorial. I would love to hear from you and have a look at the pictures (if you take pictures of your creations). I would appreciate a link back to this tutorial should you choose to use it.

29 comments

  1. I love the fact that your skirt is reversible and of course, the scallops look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam :) This was my first go at making/sewing scallops (well, apart from the trial go when I butchered it hehe), so I am pretty pleased. I know what I am going to do differently next time :) I am going to add this tut to Threading YOUR way section on your blog if you don't mind :)

      Delete
    2. I'm thrilled you've added your fabulous tutorial, Jenya!!!

      Delete
  2. Cute scallops! This hemline is everywhere now...I'm going to have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa :) I did not notice very many scallops around until I started making this skirt. Scallops are everywhere! hehe

      Delete
  3. I love scallops and have my own tutorial for scalloped edge shorts which includes a free scallop pattern that you can download. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica. I had a look at the shorts - they are simply adorable! You have great tutorials! Having a pattern is handy! I tried making my scallops by adding a seam allowance to a pattern, and it was a disaster, so I had to stop and think what I could do differently to I get the result I wanted... What's in this tut is what worked for me :)

      Delete
  4. I love this so much! I also love your blog! I would love if you checked out my blog!
    oneofakind-kikistok.blogspot.com
    Kiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiana, your blog is wonderful! I love your attention to detail. I cannot believe you are only 13! Well done :) Please continue crafting, you are so good at it!

      Delete
  5. This is really cute ... I attempted a pair of scalloped shorts last summer for my munchkin, which were an epic fail ... I think I'll try your method and see how I go. I'm thinking some dusty pink corduroy for one side ... hmmm! Thanks for this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wen :) Please let me know if you end up making a skirt for your munchkin :) Dusty pink corduroy - lovely! Just browsing through your blog - you make gorgeous things! and the meals - they look yum!!!

      Delete
  6. This needs pockets and to be for adults too! I enjoy wearing skirts year-round and think this pattern would be good for other fabrics and sizes. Great tutorial, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I am definitely going to make another one of these for my little girl when it gets warmer in my corner of the world. Originally I wanted to sew a button in each corner where scallops meet but decided against it very last minute as I was not convinced the buttons would have survived the adventured of a typical energetic toddler :) I think you can still make the skirt adult size, or you can take your skirt pattern and give it a scalloped hem (oh I am so gonna do it now - thanks for the idea!!!) :)
      ReplyDelete

      Delete
  7. So cool. My 6 year old granddaughter calls elastic waists "wrinkled" and loves them

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm hoppin' over from Sew Pretty Sew Free. What an adorable model! The skirt is amazing! Thank you for the instructions! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Marci :) I am very fond of my little model ;)

      Delete
  9. Howdy from West Texas! I am so excited--I used your tutorial but made a reversible skirt for myself, not a kidlet!!! I used red bandanna print with scattered boots, hats, tied neckerchiefs (bandannas), and guitars on one side, and scattered fancy multicolored cowboy boots on a white background on the other side! (No scallops--may try those at a future date,) Can't wait to wear the skirt to church tomorrow morning, with boots and a leather belt, of course! The folks who knew me when I was growing up would never believe that I am a half-way competent seamstress now--I was a tomboy cowgirl and wouldn't have sat in front of a sewing machine if somebody had roped and hog-tied me! Just goes to show that there's hope for anyone. Ha, ha! THANK YOU for the wonderful, detailed tutorial. I have wanted a reversible skirt for so long, but this is the first pattern I've seen that was exactly what I was looking for. You have a great way of describing each step, making something that I thought would be complicated extremely simple. Blessings to you and your darling "little monkey"! AHS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much for your lovely post :) If you have photos of you skirt, would you mind to share? You can just e-mail them to me :) I wish I could see the look on people's faced when you told them you are a half-way competent seamstress now :)

      Sorry I did not reply earlier, I am not receiving all notifications. I am trying to sort this out.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful skirt- I love the scallops. I will be making this for my two girls- fine whale corduroy(winter is cold) Thanks so much;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I love corduroy! such lovely comfy fabric! Hope your girls will LOVE their skirts :) Please share pics if you like :)

      Delete
  11. I like the post it note idea. A magnet or painters tape works well also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the fabulous tutorial, I made a skirt for my little monster today, I'll share some photos with you when I get her to stand still in it long enough! She's very pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lucy, thank you for your lovely comment :) Your little monster's skirt looks great! Thank you for sharing :)

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the tutorial Jenya! I don't know why it too me so long to find it. But I made one for Bubbles and I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the pattern. I have a question......I would like to make this for a friend's daughter who will be starting kindergarten. Will this work for someone that age? Thanks. Caroyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for this amazing tutorial. I was looking for something just like this and I simply loved it. I am definitely making this for my niece and I am sure she'll love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.